Tuesday, August 7, 2018

My Ears Are Burning

Ciao amici. Come va?

I've just returned from the most yummy little vacation in Venice. Italy is such a charming little country, and totally the perfect place to shake off my adulting blues. It can be such a downer living here in realsville. Ya know? Sometimes I just have to get away.

But while I was lying on a nude beach soaking up my daily vitamin D, I got a most distressing phone call.

Pasco is in trouble.

And it's my sworn duty to help.

So here I am ready to help. But what's the problem?


In a word: Teachers.

Teachers are the problem.

I know! I was surprised too!

Remember after the strike when everyone held hands and sang Kumbaya? Yeah, those were good times. But nothing lasts forever, and unfortunately it's human nature to be unhappy. And right now there are some teachers in Pasco who are choosing to be really unhappy.


And that's okay I guess.

Except they aren't just happy being unhappy; they want to make everyone else unhappy too.

This summer the Pasco Association of Educators and the Pasco School District have been bargaining a new contract (not a big deal, they do this about every two years, except it is a REALLY big deal because the state just changed everything about the way teacher salaries are being paid so there is a super crap ton of things that need negotiated). In July, the two bargaining teams reached what they believed was a good agreement, so they took it to the members for a vote. As it turns out, the teachers didn't feel like it was a great contract after all. They voted 4:1 against the proposed contract, and asked their team to go back to the table and keep bargaining.

No biggee.  It's happened before, and it will happen again. But they've got all summer. I'm sure they'll come to an agreement soon. Just keep trying.


But it was a biggee to some of the teachers in the minority. Some of those teachers who got outvoted 4:1 were really, REALLY angry.


So angry in fact that they started bad-mouthing the other 80%. A lot. In public. To the other team. Normally saying mean things about other people is okay because that's what the internet is for! We're all used to it by now.
Thanks trolls.

But in a union, things are different. There are rules.

You aren't supposed to talk bad about each other; you're supposed to be united.

You aren't supposed to go to the other team and talk bad about your team; you're supposed to be united.

You aren't supposed to actively work against people in your union; you're supposed to be united.

Are you sensing a theme here?

UNITED!
Like one great big Red Rover team!

*time out*
Can I tell you a secret? As a general rule, I don't actually like unions. My parents are republicans. Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone. But whether I like them or not, unions exist, they have rules, and by joining PAE the majority of teachers in Pasco have agreed to abide by them. This post isn't a love letter to unions. This post is a love letter to integrity. I just wanted you to know that before you brush me off as just another thug-loving union kisser.

*time in*

Teachers, I'm looking at you.

You need to be united. For your own sake, for the sake of the children, and for our whole community. You're making Pasco look bad. You're making yourselves look bad. You chose to join the union (it is NOT mandatory), so if you are going to be part of the union, you'd darn well better act united.

I'm not saying you can't disagree, and I'm not saying you can't try to persuade people to your opinion. In fact, I recommend disagreement and persuasion on a daily basis. But have some integrity and do it the right way.

If you find yourself on the minority side of a vote, work with your teammates to change minds and hearts. Or maybe, you could take a look in the mirror and try to figure out why you are in the minority. Is there something everyone else knows that you missed?  Just because you don't like the head coach's game plan doesn't mean you should run to the other team's dugout and start giving away your team's signals. You can't win that way. (BTW shout out to the tri-city's baseball team killing it in the Little League World Series right now. Way to represent!)

My point is, don't be a poor loser. Public attacks won't help you win. Not only does it make you look childish and small, it actually accomplishes nothing. If you think the majority is misguided, use logic an persuasion to try and win them over. Work within the bounds of the union that you, yourself, joined.


Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some jet-lag to catch up on.




But wait! I didn't tell you what's in the contract, or who is right, or what you should do.
Yeah, that was on purpose. I'm not a teacher. I'm just a figment of your imagination. I can't tell you what to do. It's not my contract. I don't have to live with it. You do.  You have to read and talk and think. You elected your union president and gave him the power to appoint a team to bargain on your behalf. So ask yourself "Do you trust the man you elected to do the job you've given him?" Trust democracy, and have faith in yourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment